“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
-Virginia Wolfe, A Room Of One’s Own
Pumpkin Cake with Molasses Glaze
_ _ I’m about to crack an egg of knowledge all over you– if you call something a “snack,” you’re allowed to eat twice as much of it… A full sheet cake almost isn’t enough.
2 cups Sugar
1 1/4 cups Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Pumpkin Puree
2 cups Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp Cloves
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 pinch (small) Salt
2 tbsp Molasses
2-4 tbsp Milk
FOR THE CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350°F
1. Grease (or cooking spray) a large baking pan (I used a 12×10″ pan but I would recommend using a slightly larger one).
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the spices.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and oil. Then add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix in one egg at a time until it’s all thoroughly combined. Slowly stir in the flour mixture.
4. Spread the batter evenly in the greased pan and cover with tin foil (I used foil because the smaller pan I used caused the edges to bake more quickly than the center, so the foil helps it bake more evenly). Bake for 30-40 minutes, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes. It’s done when a toothpick comes out clean.
FOR THE GLAZE:
1. Mix together the powdered sugar, salt, molasses and 1 1/2 tbsp milk. When this is all mixed, add a 1/2 tbsp of milk at a time until the glaze is the consistency that you want- you want to add a small amount of liquid at a time because it gets thin very quickly.
2. While the cake is still warm, spread the glaze over the top.