“Food is our common ground, a universal experience.”
_ _ I recently moved to a new place and I never realized how much I would miss cooking until all my pots and pans were packed away for over a week. I told my friend I was craving these little sandwiches and she made me feel like an idiot when she asked if you could “crave something you’ve never made before.” Yes. Yes, you can, and I was.
1 small Eggplant (you want a small diameter so it fits on the slider buns)
1 1/2 cup Panko
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Fresh Basil Leaves, julienned
Fresh Mozzarella, sliced thinly
1 small Tomato, sliced thinly
1 bag Mini (Slider) Buns
Balsamic Dressing (or just balsamic vinegar if you’re lazy and don’t feel like making the dressing)
Preheat the oven to 350°F
1. Remove the skin from the eggplant and cut into thin slices, 1/2 inch or less.
2. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs together with a fork. In another small bowl pour the panko. Dip the eggplant slices first in the egg and then in the panko, patting the crumbs down so that they stick.
3. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and place a few of the slices of the breaded eggplant in at a time, cooking each side until they’re golden brown and then placing them on a foil lined baking sheet. When all the eggplant slices are on the sheet, place it in the preheated oven for about 7 minutes.
4. While the eggplant is baking, toast the slider buns and drizzle with the balsamic dressing or plain vinegar.
5. After 7 minutes in the oven, place some of the basil on each slice of eggplant and then cover it with a thin slice of mozzarella. Return them to the oven until the cheese is melted.
6. Assemble the slider with a slice of tomato, the eggplant-basil-cheese patty and more dressing if needed.