“Indeed, when I am in really great trouble, as any one who knows me intimately will tell you, I refuse everything except food and drink.”
-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
Caramelized Apple & Onion Tart
_ _As a college student in perpetual poverty, I was reduced to offering my parents the gift of food and an IOU last Christmas… It was that, or show them what all the tuition for my English degree was going towards and present them with a literary thesis. In a macaroni frame. I went with the option that was less likely to make them cry. It was the holidays after all.
Makes: 6-8 servings
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 red apple, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
¼ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
Preheat oven to 400°
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and golden brown. Stir in the apples, salt and pepper, cooking til tender.
2. Place pastry sheet on parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Brush outer-edges with butter.
3. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes.
4. Spread with the crème fraîche, leaving a half inch border.
5. Top with the onion mixture and bake until pastry is crisp and browned, about 30 minutes.